Being the fitness junky that I am, I constantly have to deal with acne. I tend to notice that my acne comes from poor hygiene and from sweating during physical activity like my gym workouts. Other people may get acne differently, but this is just one observation I have made about myself. I know many of my readers struggle with this disease as well. So I figured it would be a great idea to write a blog post to cover the basics of acne and simple ways you can overcome this skin condition.
There are a lot of different types of acne out there. The most common form of acne is known as acne vulgaris. This type of acne includes whiteheads, black heads, and bright red pimples. These can appear all over your face, back, shoulders, and chest. Young adults and teens are the most likely to suffer from this horrible skin condition. Acne results from oil coming to the surface of your skin and blocking your pores. In essence, the oil builds up underneath and clogs the pores, resulting in the creation of bumps, known as pimples.
Sebum is the main culprit that causes this disease. Excess sebum can manifest from poor hygiene, genetic predisposition, and accelerated glandular activity.
American Academy of Dermatology estimates that 40 to 50 million people in the United States of America suffer from this skin disorder. That is a astonishing number! According to their statistics, acne typically begins during puberty. Even adults in their 20s, 30s, and 40s can develop acne vulgaris.
How Can You Treat it?
Acne treatments are essential if you are one that is burdened with acne. There are certain products available that can completely kill acne. However, everyone responds to these acne treatments differently. Finding the best acne face wash for you can be a difficult task. Before purchasing acne products you should talk to your doctor and ask for advice. If your acne is bad enough, you may be a candidate for prescription medications and creams. Usually these are given to people who have extreme acne, the most popular medications are azelaic acid, benzoyl peroxide, dapsone, and sulfur based treatments.
Simple Acne Prevention Tips
- Do not touch your face (you probably don’t even realize how much you do it)
- Change your pillow case once a week (oil and dirt from your face collects on your case without you even knowing)
- Moisturizing your face after you wash it! (Washing your face can tend to make it very dry if no moisturizer is applied afterwards. Having a dry face is bad because it signals your body to produce more oil)
- Drink more water (hydration helps improve your overall skin composition)
- Just relax! (Stress is one of the most common reason why people get acne. Calm down and just breathe)
If you are going this difficult problem, try some of the tips above. They will make a tremendous difference on your acne situation. Thank me later.